How to Participate
This partnership of discipleship and shared ministry builds relationships and reminds us of our global connection as United Methodists. As part of this partnership we encourage, support, and learn from each other as we seek to be in mission and outreach to our communities.
This partnership is focused on leadership, economic, and capacity development that leads to churches and ministries that are self-sustaining, self-leading, and self-replicating for the clergy and laity of the UMC in Tanzania.
In addition to a relational ministry partnership, three areas of support are available for individuals, groups, churches, and districts.
Click here to sign up for any of these opportunities listed below. You will be contacted shortly after you complete this form.
1. Worship and Evangelism Through the Building of Churches
- Church Partnership - Churches in the Alabama-West Florida Conference are encouraged to partner with an individual church in Mwanza. This partnership allows for the opportunity of shared ministry of prayer and encouragement. We can learn from each other, worship together, pray for one another. These relationships can be built in person and/or virtually through technology.
- Clergy Partnership - Clergy in the Alabama-West Florida Conference can partner with individual clergy in Mwanza, Tanzania. This partnership allows for the opportunity of shared ministry of prayer and encouragement. These relationships can be built in person and/or virtually through technology.
- Building Partnership - Help provide all or some of the construction costs for a needed church building. The cost of church building projects range from $25,000 for a smaller village church to $50,000 for a larger town church. This cost includes the land purchase, church construction, and a parsonage. See the VBS materials for ways your children can be involved.
- Missionary Partnership - Help support the missionaries serving in Mwanza
2. Education and Development Through Wesley College
- Sponsor a Student at Wesley College:
- Scholarships for Theology students = $1,700 per year (includes tuition, housing, and food) per student
- Scholarships for adult education certificate program = $500 per year (tuition only) per student
- Sponsor a Classroom
- Helps purchase needed equipment = $2,900
- Provide financial capital to support future campus location and expanded offerings of Wesley College. The 2019 Annual Conference offering will be given for this endeavor.
3. Training and Development Opportunities
- Participate on a short-term mission team to provide training in specific areas such as:
- entrepreneurial and small business training
- technology use
- economic empowerment
- pastoral training, including hermeneutics, leadership, leading worship, and more
- laity training
- discipleship training
- age-level ministry leadership training
- Christian education training
- vocational training
- and more
- Organize and lead a mission team to provide support in the areas listed above (conference-wide, district-wide, or church teams)
- Help provide financial scholarships for members of the Alabama-West Florida Conference to participate on a short-term mission team to Tanzania.
We have also set a goal to purchase 500 Bibles to be distributed in Mwanza, Tanzania, and beyond. If you would like to purchase a Bible for $10, click here.
If you have any questions or comments regarding Teaming with Tanzania or if you would like to learn more about how to get involved contact Susan Hunt, Director of Mission and Advocacy, at Susan@awfumc.org or 334-356-8014.