Disability Awareness Sunday
Disabilities Sunday Designated in the AWF Conference
This special Sunday allows our local churches to acknowledge and show appreciation to those with disabilities. Often times these members are overlooked in our congregations because they are perceived to have limitations. We want to bring awareness that many of these members with disabilities bring a unique perspective to our congregations and can be leaders and contributing members to the United Methodist Church and our communities.
To read about how one church celebrated Disability Awareness Sunday, click here.
Ideas to celebrate Disability Awareness Sunday:
- Plan a worship service themed around God’s love and acceptance of all of us.
- Have persons with disabilities participate in the worship service as greeters, ushers, musicians and /or speakers.
- Highlight existing ministries in your church or programs in your community that serve those with disabilities.
- Include a flyer in your church bulletin.
- Incorporate ideas from these resources: https://umcdmc.org/worship/
- Consider sharing part or all of your Offering with groups who are in ministry with people who have disabilities. This may include your local church, conference disability committees and the national Disability Ministries Committee of the United Methodist Church (UMCOR Advance #3021054).