Director Of Youth Ministries, FUMC Wetumpka
The Director of Youth Ministry is responsible for developing, coordinating and supervising a comprehensive, educational and spiritual growth program for the youth of the church. This includes encouraging and commitment to Christ and the Church and for helping youth develop skills which will enable them to become involved in the ministry of God’s people. Specifically, the Director of Youth Ministry is responsible for and training volunteers to assist in this ministry.
The Director of Youth Ministry reports directly to the Senior Minister and is responsible to the Staff Parrish Relations Committee. Additionally, the Director of Youth Ministry is expected to work and coordinate with the Work Area on Education, the Youth Council and the Administrative Board.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
- The Director of Youth Ministry is expected to have prior experience working with youth and in coordinating youth’s programs. The Director of Youth Ministry should have training and a background in the field of youth education.
- The Director of Youth Ministry must have a heart for youth and enthusiastically pursue the hearts of the youth and enjoy spending time with them.
- The Director of Youth Ministry must have a strong leadership capability and ability to command respect from a group of youth.
- The Director of Youth Ministry must possess good communication skills not only with the youth but with parents and the entire congregation of FUMC Wetumpka.
- The Director of Youth Ministry must have an acceptable knowledge of the curriculum which will be used in the Youth Ministry.This requirement includes the ability to teach biblically based lessons.
- The Director of Youth Ministry must have a strong skills in the area of organization and administrative planning.
- Must meet and follow all provisions set forth in the Personnel Policies and Procedures Manuel adopted in August 2008, which may be amended.This manual describes the responsibilities and requirements for all employees of FUMC Wetumpka.The Director of Youth Ministry, prior to being hired, must submit to and pass and appropriate background check.
- You are expected to fully understand and implement the FUMC Wetumpka Safe Sanctuaries Policies adopted in November 2008, which may be amended.
- The Director of Youth Ministry is expected to actively recruit members for the Youth Ministry.In addition to seeking potential new members, you are expected to maintain close contact with current members of the Youth Ministry through home visits, telephone calls electronic communications, etc., and to have an acceptable follow-up program in the case of the persistent absence of any member of the Youth Ministry.
- You are expected to have a flexible schedule to accommodate any changes which might be necessary to meet the needs of the youth of FUMC Wetumpka.
- The Director of Youth Ministry is expected to schedule, plan, coordinate and supervise new and ongoing programs for the youth of FUMC Wetumpka.This includes activities on Wednesday night, Sunday night and on at least some week days during the summer months.Additionally, you shall have input into the curriculum for Youth Sunday School Classes, along with teachers of those classes.
- The Director of Youth Ministry is responsible for working with the Chairperson of the Work Area on Education and the Sunday School Superintendent in securing teachers and substitute teachers for all of the church’s Sunday School classes.
- You are responsible for coordinating, planning and supervising off campus events, trips and retreats so as to enrich the church and increase their enjoyment in being members of the Youth Ministry.This responsibility includes securing and training volunteers, as may be necessary to assist in said events.
- The Director of Youth Ministry must establish a visible presence in the community.This will involve attending various local schools to eat lunch with and visit with members of the Youth Ministry.It also will involve periodically attending various non-church activities of all members of the Youth Ministry, including but not limited to, ball games dance recitals, piano recitals, performances, etc.
- The Director of Youth Ministry must understand that the above list is not all-inclusive and that additional duties may be imposed by the Senior Minister or the Staff Parrish Relations Committee where necessary to increase the enrichment of the youth of FUMC Wetumpka.
Date of Adoption
- The Director of Youth Ministry is expected to participate in a reasonable number of seminars and workshop to remain current in information related to directing a Youth Ministry.
- You are expected to remain in contact with others similarly employed at other United Methodist Churches in the vicinity and churches of other Christian denominations for the possibility of coordinating programs on occasion.The Director of Youth Ministry is also expected to observe the operations of other Youth Ministries in the vicinity so as to always be aware of possibilities for the improvement of our program.
- The initial salary for this position shall be in the range of $35,000 to $50,000 annually.Initial salary shall be based upon ability and experience.The salary of the Director of Youth Ministry will be reviewed by the Staff Parrish Relations Committee on an annual basis.
- FUMC of Wetumpka does not provide a housing allowance, medical insurance or retirement benefits for the Director of Youth Ministry.Vacation is allowed as set forth in the Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual.
- The Director of Youth Ministry is a full time employee and is expected to maintain regular office hours based upon a schedule to be determined by the Senior Minister and approved by the Staff Parrish Relations Committee.It is anticipated that the average work week for this position will involve approximately 32 hours, however, the actual number of hours involved in any particular work week may vary significantly depending upon the season of the year and any special activities which may be scheduled.
- The Director of Youth Ministry shall be provided with an Annual Expense Account in a minimum amount of $1,000.The actual amount of this Annual Expense Account may be increased from year-to-year as deemed necessary by the Church to adjust for inflation and other relevant circumstances.This purpose of the Annual Expense Account is for the use of the Director of Youth Ministry to meet the expense associated with the purchase of supplies to be used in the Youth Ministry.
This job description was adopted by the Staff Parish Relations Committee of FUMC Wetumpka in 2014.
Contact: Matt Albritton
306 West Tuskeena St. Wetumpka AL 36092
Attached file(s): view file