AWF Director of Connectional Ministries and Conference Secretary
Classification: Full Time; Exempt (Supervisory/Professional Staff)
Position Overview: The Alabama-West Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church is seeking a qualified Director of Connectional Ministries and Conference Secretary with the skills, experience, ability to be highly relational, have humility, and possess an innovative spirit to lead the conference in its endeavor to increase the capacity of the local church to make disciples for Jesus Christ.
Purpose: The purpose of the Director’s position is to focus and guide the resources of the AWF Conference to the local church in order for local churches to (1) invest in young people; (2) engage the mission field; (3) grow in faithfulness and fruitfulness; and (4) develop pipelines of transformational lay and clergy leaders. The purpose of the Conference Secretary position is to lead the conference in the planning and executing of annual conference.
Essential Conference Functions:
- Lead the conference in its mission including the development, clarification, interpretation and implementation of the mission through leadership strategies. Inspire engagement with mission and vision within the conference and connection.
- Align total resources of the conference to its mission and oversee the budget and budget development process for the program ministries of the annual conference.
- Encourage and facilitate connections among the local, district, campus, annual conference and general church ministries.
- Strengthen racial ethnic local churches, multi-cultural ministries and intercultural competence. Promote multi-cultural vitality within all conference settings.
- As Conference Secretary, oversee the planning and implementation of the annual conference session so that this is coordination and alignment of the conference mission and vision.
- Convene the associate directors monthly or as determined necessary to align and further the mission and vision of the conference.
- Serve on the extended cabinet.
- Relate to the Alabama-West Florida Conference Personnel Committee.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Resident Bishop.
This position will report to the Bishop of the Alabama-West Florida Conference. This position has broad decision-making authority. It will receive general supervision from the Resident Bishop.
This position will support and encourage these specific staff members:
Associate Director for Advocacy and Missions
Associate Director for Leadership Strategies
Associate Director of Hispanic Ministries
Other persons as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
Interpersonal skills needed include
- Laity or clergy may fill this position.
- College degree required.
- Experience supervising others directly and leader others not under one’s direct supervision to achieve results for broad-based initiatives, programs, and/or projects.
- Solid understanding of United Methodist polity, theology and the Wesleyan emphasis on personal and social holiness.
- Experience developing programs, implementing and assessing program and processes including those dealing with transformational change and vision casting.
- Capacity to work in multicultural contextual environments.
- Lead using a wide variety of leadership styles – an adaptive leader.
- Member of the United Methodist Church with an active faith life.
- Able to travel at least 40% of the time, including in the conference, nationally and, on occasion, internationally.
- Evening, night and weekend work is required.
- Able to deal with highly confidential information and/or issues using discretion and judgment.
: comfortable representing the Bishop, Conference and the Church in any setting. This includes the ability to engage a wide variety of constituents in dialogue, and the ability to handle confrontation and challenge well. Persuasive and able to listen and incorporate conflicting ideas into the issue under discussion, as needed. Able to work with a wide and diverse range of people with broad and divergent interests. Able to lead a team well.
Practical skills needed include
: ability to utilize computer, cell phone, web-conferencing, email technology and AWF database; use programs in Microsoft Office Suite; communicate well in verbal and written form, in one-on-one situations and to a large audience; engage conflict well, mediation skills; willingness to learn; ability to read, develop, and understand budgets; manage time and complex tasks well and easily; capacity to work in a collaborative environment.
Compensation includes salary, health insurance, pension, travel expenses and continuing education. Housing is included if filled by clergy.
PLEASE SEND LETTER OF APPLICATION, RESUME AND THREE PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES TO REV. JUNE JERNIGAN, ASSISTANT TO THE BISHOP AND DIRECTOR OF MINISTERIAL SERVICES, AT: 4719 WOODMERE BOULEVARD, MONTGOMERY, AL 36106; JUNE@AWFUMC.ORG; 334-356-8014.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MARCH 15, 2018 AT 4:30 P.M.
Contact: Rev. June Jernigan