Assistant Director of Music/Organist - Montgomery First (Montgomery, AL)
First United Methodist Church, Montgomery, AL, a 4,000 member church with a highly visible and active music program, seeks a full-time Assistant Director of Music/Organist. A Bachelors degree in organ performance or equivalent experience is required. A Masters Degree is preferred.
We seek a talented individual with a call to serve the church with excellence and with an understanding that this position will have a great impact upon the worship life of the church.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a high level of artistry and proficiency in playing both the piano and the organ
- Have excellent sight reading skills
- Have the ability to accompany large choral singing, chamber ensembles, and soloists as well
- Be comfortable with a wide mix of musical styles including but not limited to traditional Methodist hymnody, Taize, Classical church choir repertoire, current repertoire, African-American Spiritual, Southern Gospel, Black Gospel, and World Music
- Have an extensive repertoire of organ music representing various styles and cultures, which shall cover all the seasons of the Liturgical year
The successful candidate must work collegially and should demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills. She/he should be self-motivated and creative, and must understand the importance of the role of music in the church’s ministry. The successful candidate will reflect the core values of FUMC Montgomery and will be committed to the mission of the United Methodist Church – to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
1. Provide organ music for the two identical Sunday morning worship services as well as additional services according to the Liturgical year. Provide music for weddings and funeral services. (Weddings receive additional compensation).
2. Be prepared to provide musical leadership for other worship services such as the Wednesday afternoon Chapel Communion service.
3. Serve as accompanist for the Cathedral Choir and attend weekly rehearsals on Wednesday evenings. Also serve as accompanist for Adult Ensemble and play for periodic rehearsals, usually once a month.
4. Serve as accompanist for the Youth Choir and attend weekly rehearsals (September – June) on Sunday afternoon
5. Be responsible for arranging for a substitute organist in the event of the absence / illness / vacation / professional development.
6. Be responsible for the upkeep of the organ.
7. Attend weekly staff meetings and Worship Planning meetings.
8. Oversee the hand bell program of the church. Conduct or arrange for conductors of the Wesley Bells (grades 3-5), the two Adult Handbell Choirs - Cathedral Bells and the Allegro Bells. Be responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the 5 octave set of bells and 3 octave set of choir chimes.
Please submit a cover letter, resumé or CV, any AGO or related certification, contact information for three professional references, and any relevant recordings to the email address or physical address listed below by September 30, 2016. Contact Person: Dr. James Seay, Director of Music and Arts Email Address: email@example.com
Fax: 334-834-4555 Street Address: 2416 W. Cloverdale Park Daytime Phone: 334-834-8990 Web Site: http://www.fumcmontgomery.org
Contact: Dr. James Seay
2416 West Cloverdale Park Montgomery AL 36106