2016 Licensing School
Licensing School will be held April 11 - 18, 2016 at the Holiday Inn Express in Niceville, FL.
Licensing School Fees:
- Registration fee is $75 (non-refundable)
- Overnight stay in a single occupancy room is $400 for the week (meals included)
- Overnight stay in a double occupancy room is $250 for the week (meals included)
Licensing School Assignments:
- Congregational Leadership in Community Context: Secure a Mission Insight report on the community surrounding the congregation to which you are being appointed. Upload your congregation’s membership information database (if available) to the Mission Insight website. Dan Pezet at the conference office (334-356-8014) can help you with this. Also bring a one-to-two page written profile of the congregation to which you are being appointed that includes the size, worship style, demographics, outreach ministries, etc. Have two extra copies of this profile with you at the opening session of Licensing School. You will be discussing these studies before the entire group and will be held accountable for being prepared to use these reports, so please take this assignment seriously.
- Life Cycle Ceremonies: Bring “United Methodist Book of Worship Pastor’s Pocket Edition” with you.
- Pastor as Helping Professional: Read “Antagonists in the Church” by Gary Haugk and bring it with you. Complete the online “When Helping You is Hurting Me,” by Carmen Renee Berry is recommended but not required.
- Wesleyan Theology for Congregations: Read and bring “John Wesley’s Message Today” by Lovett Weems and “Being Methodist in the Bible Belt” by Felton Joyner.
- Leadership and Administration: Read “Church Leadership” by Lovett Weems and bring it with you. Bring “The Book of Discipline” with you.
- The Missional Congregation: Read and bring “Mission: Reaching the World” from the 2013-2016 Guidelines: Leading Your Congregation series. This is also available as a downloadable PDF through Cokesbury. If you use the digital version, make sure you can access it during the discussion.
- Evangelism: Read and bring “Leading Beyond the Walls” by Adam Hamilton. “New Life for Dying Churches” by Rose Sims is suggested but not necessary, and often difficult to find because it is out of print.
- Worship/Preaching: Bring New Revised Standard Version of the Bible (New Interpreter’s Study Bible or Wesley Study Bible preferred). Bring “The United Methodist Book of Worship,” “The United Methodist Hymnal,” and “The United Methodist Music and Worship Planner 2014-2015.” Read and bring “The Witness of Preaching” by Tom Long.
- Life Together: Read and bring “Life Together” by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Note especially those parts of the book that seem impractical, difficult, or unrealistic. We will discuss this book at length, so please read it carefully.
**You MUST be a certified candidate and have your District Superintendent's APPROVAL in order to attend**
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact Erika Glawson at firstname.lastname@example.org.